Wednesday, May 5, 2010

In reaping


My name is Rue, I was the oldest child of six. In my district we all had to work, the young and the old, in the orchards. I did not have a normal childhood. In my District our job was to grow agriculture for the Capitol and other districts.

My favorite thing to do was to sing melodies, I especially liked to sing melodies to the mockingjay’s because they would always take up my tune and display the melodies in the orchard. I also use my melodies to signal quitting time at the orchards in District 11. Because I had a love of music, one of my dreams was to become a musician when I grew up.

On the day of the reaping my family had just finished breakfast before my mother, father and I left to head over to the reaping. Why in the world would they make everyone attend the reaping. The reaping is where you go to see if your name will be drawn to take part in the Hunger Games. I really wish this was something I could have gotten out of. But because it was required by the government, I had no choice in this matter. What I didn’t understand is why they only wanted one child of each sex that gets chosen?

As the names were being called I watched and listened name after name once they got to District 11 my name was called. They asked for volunteers but no one came forward to take my place in this years reaping.. You would think someone would volunteer for me because I am small and I don’t have a chance at these games.



Image from http://lenzilikesit.blogspot.com/2009/05/hunger-games-movie-cast_24.html

No comments:

Post a Comment